We do use purple.com. We understand that those who are not technically inclined nor in the know may not see that. That's ok. We don't think any less of those who don't know our personal business.
For further information on any of these options, please email us. All numbers are either in GBP or in EUR, as you wish. But if we sign a contract, the currency is determined by whether we write the contract under French or UK law.
1. You may place a text ad on the main purple page (http://www.purple.com/index.html). The cost is 100 per day for the first two words. For longer ads, the price is 100+100*(w-2)^2 per day. I.e., 200 for three words, 500 for four words, etc. For images, the price is 0.10 per pixel per day. So an 88x31 tag (2728 pixels) would cost 272.80 per day. We are interested in the page loading quickly.
The main page currently redirects to blank purple after 2 seconds. You may increase the delay time for a daily price that is 20% of your ad price times the square of the number of seconds you wish to add.
2. You may lease the single page (entry point) http://www.purple.com/ at the rate of 5000 per month. We would redirect that one page to the (non-purple) address of your choice. Email addresses at purple are available for 10 each per month if you are leasing the main entry point.
3. You may lease sub-domains of purple (other than www) for 1000 per month. You must host your own content: we merely point DNS at the IP of your choice. For 100 per month additional you may handle all email to your sub-domain of purple. Individual email addresses at purple or at your sub-domain are otherwise available for 10 each per month.
4. You may license all of purple.com, giving you the right to put all of your content at www.purple.com, including hosting the site itself. You would be required to maintain forwarding on certain email addresses and redirects on a small number of URL's, but none with names that should cause problems. The cost of licensing the entire site is a one-time fee of 750,000 plus a monthly maintenance fee of 100 which may be paid in advance annually.
5. You may have an address at friends.purple.com for 50 per month. The address is licensed to you as long as you keep paying. You may do anything you want with it except represent yourself as having a relationship with purple.com other than leasing the address or addresses you lease. You may not do anything that gets us in legal trouble, and you may not use it as a spam return address. We would forward that address to the address of your choice: we would not offer actual storage.
Q. Why is this so expensive?
A. To make my life simple.
Q. This is too expensive! Won't you bring the price down?
A. The price is not negotiable. Everyone has different ideas of expensive. If you feel this is too expensive, you are welcome to find a less expensive domain name.
Q. What restrictions would I have on what I can do with my sub-domain of purple?
A. We impose no restrictions, except that it must be legal, must not get us in legal problems, can't be for purposes of spamming, etc.
Q. Can I have an email address without paying all those fees?
A. No. That wouldn't be simple. (It doesn't scale.)
Q. Why is http://www.purple.com/ nearly all purple? Why does it link to a purple page?
A. It makes my life simple.
Q. Isn't there more?
Q. I don't want to lease, I want to buy!
A. Leasing is a fairly standard business structure. In most contexts you can achieve most of the rights you'd like from purchase via lease, although you often have to enumerate what you want. If you really feel that leasing purple.com doesn't work for you and you don't have a credible argument for why, understand that I will wonder what you are up to.